rejecting botnets with sendmail

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Nov 1 16:41:20 GMT 2006

Denis Beauchemin wrote:
> Andoni Auzmendi a écrit :
>> Experiencing the recent increase in spam from botnets, is there a way to
>> reject (or discard) connections coming from servers containing their ip
>> address within the hostname? I can see lots of connections from
>> broadband or dialup addresses. Some of them even bypass greylilst as
>> they resend the messages several times. We use Sendmail here and I guess
>> there must be a milter which is capable of doing that.
>>
>> Andoni Auzmendi
>>
> Andoni,
>
> This saved us:
> FEATURE(`dnsbl',`safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr}
> " found in safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net"')dnl

What list is this? I don't see it on the sorbs.net website.

I just lost my battle with the PHB over dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net and I had to
remove it. Our VOIP provider (we are a reseller) has their VM server on
the dul list. All VM wave files have been blocked since I started using
dul last week to thwart a dictionary attack. I hate spammers, really, I
wish them all constant pain and eternal agony.

DAve

> Put it in your sendmail.mc and then make your sendmail.cf from it. Last
> step is to restart sendmail using MailScanner's script.
>
> I guess you can use other RBLs but I don't know which ones to recommend.
>
> Denis

Veterans?