[Clamav-users] Problem with internal logger

Philip Hachey PHachey at city.cornwall.on.ca
Wed May 31 17:10:57 IST 2006

> Author: Peter Luttrell
> To: clamav-users
> Subject: [Clamav-users] Problem with internal logger
> I recently upgraded clamav to version 0.88.2 in order to support
> amavisd-new, which I'm using with postfix.
>
> Since then, many times the day my root account receives this message:
>
> > From: root@[mydomain] (Cron Daemon)
> > Date: May 29, 2006 6:24:01 PM CDT
> > To: root@[mydomain]
> > Subject: Cron <root@[myserver]> /usr/share/clamav/freshclam-sleep
> >
> > ERROR: Problem with internal logger.
>
> After googling a bit, I wasn't able to find any info...or any place
> to start looking for a problem. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?
>
> thanks in advance.
> -peter

A similar problem is happening on my MailScanner server.  I've been using
ClamAV combined with MailScanner since before ClamAV version 0.80 and this
is a first.  On May 1st, I upgraded to ClamAV 0.88.2 (local build from
source) from 0.88.1.  On the same day, I also upgraded MailScanner to
version 4.53.6-1.  On a regular interval, MailScanner calls freshclam as
it always has by using "/usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet -l
/var/log/freshclam.log"[1].  Twice now since May 1st, ClamAV has stopped
updating because MailScanner's invocation of freshclam hangs ('ps -ef'
shows '/usr/local/bin/freshclam...').  Calling 'freshclam -v' returns the
"Problem with internal logger" error -- I assume because the log file has
been locked by the hung process.  Killing the freshclam process allows
'freshclam -v' to run successfully.  MailScanner's use of freshclam then
functions fine for a few days until it happens again.

It's inconsistent and I'm not sure what to do about it.  Have there been
changes in the 0.88.2 code to freshclam?  I'm considering rebuilding
ClamAV to see if that increases stability.

Philip Hachey

[1] Yes, I know MailScanner normally has freshclam write to
'/tmp/ClamAV.update.log', but I changed that in the clamav-autoupdate
script ages ago.