Another call for improvements

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Tue May 30 23:21:38 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote:

> Any of you got any features which you really need?
> I don't guarantee to implement them, or even consider them :-)

Nothing I really need.  However, there are a few ideas:

1/ A version of Phil Randal's script to download the supplemental ClamAV
phishing signatures from Steve Basford's SaneSecurity.com which uses
MailScanner's locking to ensure that the database isn't updated during a
scan, and doesn't hit Steve's site more than 4 times a day.

2/ Maybe add an AV scanner auto-detect feature to the installer or the
MailScanner main Perl process?  In most cases it's just looking for the
presence of the AV scanner binary (possibly in one of several places).
In a few cases you need to run the binary and ask it for its version to
figure out which of several wrappers to use.

3/ There's always qpsmtpd/qmail support, but you've indicated in the
past that you want someone else to take that on.

> Anything you don't like, anything you particularly like (gratitude is
> always welcome :-) I'm a right sucker for it :-)

Words cannot express our gratitude. ;>

> At the moment there aren't any features people want, other than a 200%
> speed improvement which I've done my best for in the past.
>
> Don't ignore anything you have asked for in the past, consider them
> forgotten :-(
>
> Regards,
> Jules.

Regards,