AV scanner auto-adapt, was: Panda Antivirus (pavcl v 9.00.00)

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Tue May 30 15:27:17 IST 2006

Rick Cooper wrote:
> I noted last week Glenn mentioned something about a new panda pavcl (version
> 9). It would appear they have made good their promise to make it more "parse
> friendly". They have included the following two switches:

[snip]

> pavcl -info|grep -i version |sed "s/Product version: //"
>
> and check for =~ /9\.\d{2}\.\d{2}/

[snip]

This raises some interesting ideas about making the AV scanner wrapper
automatically adapt for different versions of the scanner, or even
making MailScanner automatically detect AV scanners.

This would complicate MS, but make it slightly more idiot-proof.

One approach might be to put the auto-detection into an AV scanner
wrapper, so people can select that wrapper if they want auto-detection.

I'm not sure whether you'd want to do auto-detection one time
immediately after a MailScanner reload, or have the wrapper look for
alternate scanners if it ever tried to run a scanner and got a "file not
found" or unparsable output.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall