MailScanner ANNOUNCEMENT: Your Software Needs You!

Chris Hammond chris at tac.esi.net
Fri May 26 16:58:16 IST 2006

Well, it you don't agree with me you can't use it. :)

Seriously though, I look for ward to making it better.  As I said before,
with this script and a base CentOS 4 install, I can build a ready to go
box is less than 20 minutes and that beats the hell out of a couple of
hours installing everything individually.

The initial script started was done in about 3 days and weighed in at
about 500 lines and I have been adding to it since.  I know there are
better ways of doing most everything I did in the script but I had to
do alot of figuring of things out just to build the initial script.  I would
like to make the script give users the choice of what they want to install.
We should not dictate mta, db and anything else for that matter.  Plus
the addition of error checking and other things that I just do not know
how to do.  If this is useful to people at least I have given something
back to the community as so far it has been all take.  I really want
to learn to be a decent programmer so I can give back but haven't
really succeeded yet.  Hopefully working with you guys on this will
rub off on me and make me a better bash scripter.

As for the choices, what are you talking about?  Settings or things I have
installed or ways that I am doing things in the script?

Thanks
Chris

>>> dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com 05/26/06 11:37 am >>>
Woooooooo!!! rocking stuff..

Though i don't agree with some of your choices in the script (let me not
mention them now), the rest is seriously awesome.

This can make a great mini- project (called mail- toasters in the qmail
world).

I have internally documented something quite similar (you'll be
surprised at the similarity), and will add it to this as soon as i get
the time.

-  dhawal

Chris Hammond wrote:
> Here is the script that I promised.  I have removed some hard coded stuff and replaced with variables.
> I have not tested it since making the changes so I do not know if I broke anything.
>
> I appreciate the desire to make the script better but I would like to ask that we try as much as possible
> to work together for everyones benefit.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>
> Here is a tree view of the directory for the files it needs.
>
> mailscanner/
> |--  BitDefender- Console- Antivirus- 7.1- 3.linux- gcc3x.i386.rpm
> |--  MailScanner- perl- MIME- Base64- 3.05- 5.i386.rpm
> |--  etc
> |   `--  cron.daily
> |       |--  bayes_cleanup
> |       `--  db_cleanup
> |--  http
> |   |--  favicon.ico
> |   `--  mailscanner
> |       |--  do_message_ops.php
> |       `--  geoip_update.php
> |--  logwatch- 7.3- 1.noarch.rpm
> |--  mailscanner- 4.52.2- 1.noarch.rpm
> |--  mailwatch- 1.0.3.tar.gz
> |--  asinst_script.sh
> |--  perl- Razor- Agent- 2.81- 2.i386.rpm
> |--  perl- Storable- 2.15- 1.rf.i386.rpm
> |--  rules_du_jour
> `--  usr
>     `--  local
>         `--  bin
>             `--  db_clean.php

> I could help with:
>
> Chris Hammond wrote:
>> Script is run after a bare install of CentOS4
>> Turns off un-  needed services and runs a yum update.
>> Sets up hosts file
>> Installs all needed RPMS;
>> Postfix, spamassassin, clamav, caching nameserver, mysql, apache, php, webmin, ntp, snmp, mailscanner, mailwatch, logwatch
> I'd install sendmail, sendmail-  devel, spf-  milter, milter-  greylist, and
> perhaps another thing or two.
>> and bitdefender are the major apps.
>> Configures all apps based on variables set in the beginning of the script.
>> Sets up iptables and allows only required ports.
>> Sets up rules_du_jour
>> Sets up Razor2
>>
> I'd also set up pyzor and dcc if possible.
>
> Perhaps I could contribute to this effort...

Support MailScanner development -  buy the book off the website!

believed to be clean.