Who has the slowest mailscanner?

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 01:11:27 IST 2006

Hi,

> I've got a couple old Pentium-II/300 machines
> chugging away for a couple
> small clients.  Both handle about 1000 messages/day.
>  One of them is
> getting hammered right now and is running about 7000
> messages/day....poor thing.

I have one PII 266 Dual CPU with 512mb of RAM and 2x
9Gb drives. It doesn't handle the bulk of email
fortunately but acts as the backup mail server in case
the primary is down. It's running FC2 and has been
on-line for more than 10 years (Acer Altos 930).
During that time it has warped from a dialup server,
to firewall and now for the past few years a
MailScanner server.

It's the oldest box I have, it's had it's day and it's
up for decommissioning (I'm just trying to find the
time to do it). It's Acer Altos 1100 cousin (beefier
PII 450 dual) which used to sit next to it blew it's
power supply a couple of months back after a similar
trail of un-affected service. Of course, the
proprietry nature of servers back in the early
nineties means it's cheaper to bin the server (which I
did do) and get a new one than to get a $400 power
supply from Acer (if you can still get them).

This server is a little workhorse, they certainly
don't build servers like they use to, but when I
finally decommission it, I will tip my hat to it for
the years of continuous service it's provided me. I
can count the number of times I've rebooted it with my
fingers and toes.

Michael.