Thoughts please: 4.54.4 as a stable?

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu May 25 20:49:28 IST 2006

David Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> Given the problems with 4.53.8, should I change the latest stable
>> release to 4.54.4?
>> I am not intending to do a June release, unless people think that is a
>> better solution to the 4.53 problem.
>>
>> A new stable or the current beta-->stable?
>>
>> Your thoughts please!
>
>>From the user perspective the label "stable" signals reliability, and
> freedom from bugs (so far as is reasonably practicable).  Likewise the
> label "beta" signals caution, 'own risk', and possible known-and-unfixed
> problems.  We, the users, need to be able to trust those labels ("stable",
> "beta")  and, crucially, their implied signals about production-quality
> reliability.
>
> (What follows is intended as constructive!)  My understanding is that
> 4.53.y, which bears the label "stable", in fact has some serious problems
> and so is actually unstable in use.  Whereas 4.54.x, which bears the
> cautionary label "beta" is, in practice, more reliable (production
> quality).  (Is that understanding correct?)  If so, then the labelling
> ("stable", "beta") becomes open to question (untrustworthy, even?) and
> casts a shadow of doubt over the trust we can place in the MS product
> that we download.

Yep, well that was sorta the whole point in starting the beta list,
wasn't it? The idea that this sort of upside-down-ness of beta vs.
stable shouldn't be repeated if possible, but with frequent releases,
it's likely to happen occationally. The increase of beta testing and
reporting should help.

It does happen sometimes though, despite our best efforts.. as I
(version 1) came before my son (version 2); but at 2 yrs old, he's still
very much a beta human. ;-)

That said, I think 4.54.5 is out of diapers.

Ken A
Pacific.Net