Explain filename/filetype please

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 25 15:54:28 IST 2006

Julian,

Thanks so much, see below please.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Field" <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: Explain filename/filetype please

> On 25 May 2006, at 14:40, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> I had always figured I had a handle on the two filename/filetype  rules
>> conf files, but apparently, I don't.
>
> And I have further muddied the waters by adding an alternative much
> simpler system you can use as well or instead. See the comments in
> MailScanner.conf just above the "Allow Filenames" setting.

Yes, I have added the most popular extensions to the Deny option, and am
testing now. (Did a reload instead of stop/start)

> Just to keep you on your toes of course :-)
>
> You can do most things with the new settings and they are a hell of a  lot
> easier to understand for most people.
>
>> I need to block movie files, but they aren't being done as I  thought
>> they would. I see in 4.50, these were defaulted to 'allow'  in the
>> filetype rule, but I have modified that conf file back to  before 4.50
>> (actually never implemented the rpmnew file).
>>
>> I need an explaination of the following please from the Changelog  for
>> 4.50:
>>
>> Disabled movie format "deny" rules in filetype.rules.conf
>
> I commented out the movie format rules I supply in my  filetype.rules.conf
> file.
>
>> and have enabled
>>  filetype checking by default.
>
> You can enable and disable the whole filetype checking system by not
> telling it where to find the "file" command. I used to supply the
> MailScanner.conf file with the location of the "file" command  commented
> out, so that the whole system was switched off. I have now  removed the
> comment character # from the line, so that the whole  system is switched
> on in the MailScanner.conf file I supply.
>
>> Am I correct in my way of thinking that "filename"  uses a RegExp  type
>> match
>
> Correct.
>
>> and that "filetype" uses the result from the 'file' command?
>
> Correct.
>
>> Should I add extensions in the filename file for these as they are  not,
>> by default, there, just to cover all bases? Recommendations of  filetype
>> extensions would be appreciated here!
>
> You can disable them by filename as well as by filetype to be doubly  sure
> you get them. For the "filetype" rule text to put in, use the  "file"
> command on a few of the files and put in filetype.rules.conf  the
> important bits of the text you get back from the "file" command.  You
> probably don't want to put all of it in, as they often contain
> information on the block encoding, data rate, etc of the movie file,  and
> you just want to block these movie files in general.
>
> Then just make sure your MailScanner.conf file has the setting  telling it
> where to find the "file" command and away you go.
>
>> Thanks for any help in making the clouds disappear over my brain.
>
> I hope stuff above helps!

It has helped, and I thank you very much for everything.
BTW, does using the two new options cause swapping?

Hope you have a great trip, also. I don't live in New Orleans, but when you
get my age, you think a lot about food alot, and that place is a real
experience.

Steve