Query about missing envelope sender in quarantined mail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 25 12:13:32 IST 2006

On 25 May 2006, at 11:04, Jim Holland wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am using:
>
> 	MailScanner-4.52.2-1
> 	sendmail-8.13.6
> 	Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
> 	Kernel 2.4.20-28.7 on an i586
>
> I have configured the following lines in MailScanner.conf to ensure
> that
> envelope From headers are recorded:
>
> 	Add Envelope From Header = yes
> 	Envelope From Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-From:
> 	Quarantine Whole Message = yes
> 	Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = no
>
> and this works fine for mail that has been accepted for delivery.
> However such mail in fact retains the envelope sender in any case
> so the
> above is rather redundant.  My query is how to do the same for
> quarantined
> mail, which always has a header like this:

> 	From: . . .
> 	Subject: . . .
>
> instead of the usual:
>
> 	From user at domain Thu May 25 11:49:49 2006

This line is part of mbox format, it is not part of the message. The
separator between messages is defined as 1 blank line followed by
"From " at the start of the next line.
MailScanner is generating its quarantine files in RFC822 format which
does not have this line at the top.

> 	From: . . .
> 	Subject: . . .
>
> There is no "From " line at the start of the header in quarantined
> mail,
> and there is no MailScanner-From line to indicate the envelope sender
> either.

That is because the quarantined mail is stored in the exact original
form in which it was received. Having an archive of munged mail
rather defeats the point.

>   The only way to find out who sent the message is to look up the
> message in the maillog file, which is rather tedious.  Why does the
> first
> line of the header have the "From "  line replaced by Return-Path with
> nothing useful in it?

Because that is what the spec says.

>   Can that behaviour be changed?

No, sorry.

> Regards
>
> Jim Holland
> System Administrator
> MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service

Julian Field

believed to be clean.