Getting pounded .. sigh

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Mon May 22 20:06:28 IST 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 19:15, Kevin Miller wrote:

> sandrews at andrewscompanies.com wrote:
>> I remember talk some time ago, not here, of a way to slow down the
>> sender by doing something with an ACK (really out of my pond here).
>> Anyone know what I might be thinking of?  If there's some way to hold
>> the connection to sender open, that would slow them down sending out
>> crap.
>
> I thnk you're thinking of sendmail's greet pause feature.  Works great
> for "botted" home machines, but real MX hosts aren't tripped up by it.
> Another feature that may be of some help is the recipient throttle
> (assuming he's using sendmail - Postfix, etc. probably have something
> similar) but I'm not using it myself so don't know for sure...

Postfix should be set by default under the in_flow_delay feature but
this will only slow 'thundering heard' servers who are trying to make
many connections per <short> time period. From memory Wanadoo are
using Postfix servers as their main mail core so they will 'behave
properly' so greet pause etc just won't work. This sort of attack is
usually caused by compromised machine on the end of a DSL circuit
which is configured to relay through the ISP's MTA. It shouldn't
matter soon though as the servers in question will end up on a few RBLs.

Sadly, knowing the ISP in question, their sys admins won't care and
will ignore the problem. I know several UK ISPs end up having to
whitelist Wanadoo servers as they often end up on blacklists and with
the size of the Wanadoo user base, too many people notice if Wanadoo
mail goes 'missing'.

You could make yourself feel better and mail abuse at wanadoo.com but I
wouldn't hold your breath :-(

Drew