MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Mon May 22 01:44:18 IST 2006

Jon Radel wrote:
> Why? Linux boxes are perfectly capable of gathering little bits of
> cruft in swap.  I've got a [much wimpier than those under discussion]
> Linux box here that in the last 203 days has somehow gathered 163KB in
> swap that just sits there despite there being 5MB physical RAM free (and
> considerably more physical RAM free if you subtract the buffers and cache).
>
> --Jon Radel

I'm sure (IANAKP, I Am Not A Kernel Programmer) that it's something that
follows the simple philosophy of "I *know* I'm not gonna need it so I'll
just drop it here in swap where I know I can get to it if I the
situation changes".

Still, makes me wonder... What if I set up the swapfile to reside in a
ramdisk? ;-)