MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Sun May 21 23:47:17 IST 2006

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote on Sun, 21 May 2006 16:58:06 -0400:
>

>> A 650KB swap file is nothing.
>>

> I'm sure he means 650 MB.
>
> Kai

I'm not so sure and it's not what he said.  When comparing to "ZERO" I
suppose that  650KB can seem large.  In the context of the discussion
(if you can call it that) I'm assuming he meant used storage and not the
total allocated for the swap file.  What a minute... maybe that's it.
If I only had a 650KB swap file then I would be concerned about it being
non zero!  *Just kidding*.

The bottom line is... Don't use the swap file usage as the sole
indicator that something is wrong!  Given the description and the mail
load he indicated (a mere 1200 messages/day), I don't believe anything
is wrong.

Richard