MailScanner is responsible for SWAP usage!

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sun May 21 22:31:23 IST 2006

Michael S. wrote on Sun, 21 May 2006 14:32:28 -0400:

> What's the point?

What is *your* point? Get some decent diagnostics together and stop crying
wolf. Yes, it's quite possible that if you stop running MailScanner your
swapping will stop. Analyze how you use it and what you use and you will find
the cause for the problem and *can change the way you use it*. And please
understand that MailScanner ist not "MailScanner", it's MailScanner plus SA
plus ClamAV and maybe other software you added to that mix.

> Here is the point for clarification. 3 x 20MB = 60MB of ram that is
> supposedly used by MS.

No. That's not even the absolute *minimum*. (the minimum would be that + 15 MB
or so for the main MS process). I know people who upped this to 500 MB per
process or so

 We process less than 1,200 messages a day on this
> server in total. So the question is, why does the box swap when MS is
> installed on a box with 4GB of memory?

I suggest you start using ps, free and other administrator's tools.

Yes, my answer may sound unfriendly. That's exactly what I feel your posting
and some others from you I saw earlier this week were. Community is a give and
take. And before you cry for the community get your act together. As I
understand you are a *system administrator*, are you?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany