Offtopic: Postfix Question

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Sun May 21 13:49:46 IST 2006

On 21 May 2006, at 14:05, --[UxBoD]-- wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> i have found that when I receive emails to my server I get the "to"
> element including both my actual email address, and my address of
> the mail server
> ie.
>
> From:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
> To:uxbod at splatnix.net,uxbod at mailhub.splatnix.net
>
> My domain is setup as a virtual so anything at domain.com will drop
> into a single mailbox.  This causes havoc with white/black lists.
> Anybody know how
> to stop this ?

Don't use virtual addresses like this I am afraid. This is caused by
the virtual aliasing in Postfix being done by the cleanup agent just
after the message is accepted by smtpd, both of which happen before
MailScanner sees the message hence causing the double address list.

The only other thing I would add is you would be better blacklisting
at Postfix level, which would also get round this problem. Just put
the blacklisted recipient address address in transport.cf with the
right handside of the table with error:<your reason here> and postmap
transport.cf. You can also blacklist incoming addresses using client
access with addresses/ domains/ ip addresses. Just put an entry in
main.cf under smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access hash:/
etc/postfix/client_access http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html gives
more details.

If this is a problem, I suggest using the local aliases (Which get
aliased by trivial-rewrite post MailScanner) which would get round
this problem. Just depends on how many domains you are hosting and
the practicalities in your system.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy