MailScanner ANNOUNCEMENT: Your Software Needs You!

Sylvain Phaneuf Sylvain.Phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 21 10:03:34 IST 2006

Dear Julian,

Please count me in.

I cannot promise I will be able to test every new release but with a
frequency of one every two months I should be able to test most of them.

However the timing of your invitation is not great. I am on my way to
the airport flying to Canada and will be back in the office at the end
of June.

As for payment, being able to use MailScanner for free is already a
superb deal imho.

Thanks for all you have already done for us. I am looking forward to do
my little bit to help you and the MailScanner community.

Regards,

Sylvain
==============
Sylvain Phaneuf --- Systems Manager | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Information Management Services Unit - Medical Sciences Division
Oxford University | email : sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital | fax : +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford, OX3 9DU,   UK
==============

---------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry mobile &
IMSU GroupWise email system.
For more information, go to:
http://www.imsu.ox.ac.uk/bb
---------------------------

>>> MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk 5/20 22:46 >>>
Your Software Needs You!

I really need some people who are prepared to help with the beta testing

of new MailScanner releases. MailScanner is now a complex mature
application and the testing I can do on particular features is not
enough to prove the co-operation between different settings. This has
been highlighted in 4.53.

So if you are prepared to partake in beta testing for me then please
contact me directly at mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk.

You will need to be prepared to either
1) run beta versions on your live MailScanner systems if you are brave,
    or
2) run beta versions on a copy of your mail feed on a test server. This

can be done (with sendmail) using the "roundhouse" milter available from

SnertSoft. I'm sure the same can be achieved with Postfix, Exim and
ZMailer.

It does not matter how much mail you process each day at all. A home
user prepared to tweak new settings on a system processing 30 messages
per day is just as useful as an ISP processing 100,000 messages per day.

Unknowingly, you will each be testing different aspects of MailScanner,

so all help is useful regardless of size.

I am not insisting that you test every single beta test version I
publish, just that you help where and when you can, particularly in the

run-up to a stable release. More about that in a minute.

Unfortunately I can only offer you payment for this in the form of the
odd T-shirt and the satisfaction that you are making an essential
contribution to the best email filtering system on the planet.

The more of you who are prepared to help, the better.
Let us all work together to maintain MailScanner's high standards in
quality and performance!

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.