Dealing with suspected spam

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 17 13:41:53 IST 2006

One thing I want to make sure you know:

Thunderbird has a feature where it will trust the "Is This Spam?"
headers from SpamAssassin among other systems. You have to switch
this on in the preferences.

By default on new MailScanner systems, MailScanner will generate the
relevant headers pretending to be SpamAssassin for this feature. So
your users can very easily filter their spam into Thunderbird's Junk
folder, without having to go into the complexity of writing a rule
that matches the subject line or anything like that.

If you want to apply this to older installations, set things up like
this:

Non Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: No"
Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"

I hope that helps someone.
Jules.

On 17 May 2006, at 11:45, <sandrews at andrewscompanies.com>
<sandrews at andrewscompanies.com> wrote:

> Quarantine High and deliver the rest as tagged in subject line.
> Advise
> users to create a rule to dump tagged to trash can and tell them to
> check every so often for false positives; keep lowering bar on spam
> and
> high spam until we get into false positive range and then back off
> a bit
> and start whitelisting.

Julian Field

believed to be clean.