MailScanner Update Frequency??

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 17 08:23:37 IST 2006

Hi,

Fajar wrote:
> Hello Everyone, especially to Julian Field...
>
> Thanks for the great mailscanner, it's really help reducing our mail server by
> spam, virus, etc. I just want to ask, why mailscanner is really fast is developing?
> Sometimes I get bored updating our mailscanner :). In scale 1-10(10 for most
> important), how important updating mailscanner installation?

That is really a decision you need to make based on your local
conditions and needs.  I often skip a version or two, depending on what
the changes and new features are, and how busy I am on other things.

I always check the changelog on the release of a new version and decide
if the changes are important to my situation enough to spend the (small)
amount of time upgrading.

The changes can be divided into two broad categories:  Bug fixes and new
features.

If a bug fix is critical or security related or I am being affected by
the bug, I will upgrade.  If the bug is trivial or in a section of the
software that I don't use, then I may not.

If a new feature looks useful in my situation then I will upgrade.  If I
don't think I need the feature or I want to think it through and plan
its roll out, I may not.

As a general rule I try to not get more than 2-3 versions behind.

--
Anthony Peacock
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new