connection refused by 127.0.0.1

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue May 16 20:02:44 IST 2006

It was pre-MailScanner days.  Can't remember what I was running back
then, but it was a lot dumber than sendmail and MailScanner.  Anyway,
the message came in, and the system either was replying to an unknown
user, or was bouncing spam - can't remember which.  Seems like back in
those days there was a lot less forging going on and a lot more spam
bouncing.  Anyway, the system got the mail, decided to return it,
replying to spammer at funkydomain.com.  funkydomain.com's MX resolved to
127.0.0.1, so the braindead system I was running contacted itself,
accepted the mail, noticed that it didn't have a valid user named
spammer at funkydomain.com so sent an NDR, which went to itself, it replied
again, etc.  Eventually it ran out of disk space.  It was really obvious
what the domain name was as all the messages were addressed to it.
Kinda funny looking back at it.

I just pulled the network cable, cleaned out the queues, blacklisted the
sending domain and restarted.  It wasn't long after that that I began
looking around for a new system!  After I sent my reply yesterday I got
to thinking that this probably wasn't your trouble, as modern MTAs are
smarter than that and will detect a mail loop after a few iterations.

FWIW, the offending domain was demolish.com (managed by
bluegravity.com), and nomail.bluegravity.com.  Doing a quick dig in Sam
Spade shows that nomail.bluegravity.com is still blackholed.  They've
earned a permanent blacklisting in my access file:

Dig nomail.bluegravity.com at ns2.bluegravity.com (64.57.64.3) ...
 Query for nomail.bluegravity.com type=255 class=1
  nomail.bluegravity.com A (Address) 127.0.0.1
  bluegravity.com NS (Nameserver) ns1.bluegravity.com
  bluegravity.com NS (Nameserver) ns2.bluegravity.com
  ns1.bluegravity.com A (Address) 64.57.64.2
  ns2.bluegravity.com A (Address) 64.57.64.3

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500