Mail disaster - semi-new system

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Mon May 15 23:09:00 IST 2006

Mike Kercher wrote:

>mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info <> scribbled on :
>

>>I've been pulling my hair out for a couple of days, and
>>decided that tracking down "the usual suspect" either isn't
>>sufficient here, or I've been pulling out brains along with the hair.
>>
>>Because one of my servers was compromised I had to rebuild
>>it. I copied most of /usr /etc/ and /home to a second disk
>>and installed Fedora Core
>>5 on the primary disk. I got BIND and Apache running before I
>>even started on mail, which in this case is 8.13.5.
>>
>>With the firewall still turned on so no mail traffic was
>>getting to the box, I downloaded and installed the current
>>f-prot (manual rpm install) and clamav (yum install) RPMs,
>>then downloaded MailScanner 4.53.8.
>>
>>I had brought over most of my old MailScanner configuration
>>files prior to installing MailScanner, but I went through
>>most of MailScanner.conf to make sure things made sense, then
>>started it up and disabled the firewall.
>>
>>I had to edit the Sendmail config that keeps you from
>>receiving mail from outside, of course.
>>
>>At this point, no mail is coming in to the local mail spool.
>>The files that are sitting there from last week have been
>>carefully set to the correct ownership (username:mail) but
>>nothing is being added to them.
>>Mail to users who don't currently have files in
>>/var/spool/mail do not result in new files being created.
>>
>>the maillog is getting lots of entries like this one:
>>May 15 14:16:22 verbose sendmail[9479]: k4FLCHkZ009386:
>>to=<r_james at in-tel-a-choice.com>, delay=00:04:04,
>>xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=216546, dsn=4.0.0,
>>stat=Deferred: local mailer
>>(/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
>>
>>The error appears to be the same whether the user is one of
>>those that has a file in /var/spool/mail or not.
>>
>>Procmail is running, apparently, and is version 3.22. I can
>>find no trace of a procmail log, nor have I been able to
>>learn how to enable procmail logging. (Everything I come up
>>with talks about how to control a user's personal procmail
>>log, not a global/system one.)
>>
>>At one point I was getting errors from clamav that there was
>>no user clamav (the installer had ignored that and proceeded
>>as root). I finally removed clamav from the MailScanner.conf
>>list of virus scanners. At least that eliminated those log entries.
>>
>>The natives are getting restless, and I'm frustrated beyond
>>measure. I'm sure there's some obvious step I've ommitted and
>>am hoping that one of you can tell me just how stupid I am -
>>preferrably while telling me what the ommitted step should have been!
>>
>>Van
>>

>Also, give me the output of:
>
>grep procmail /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
>Mike

[root at verbose mail]# grep procmail /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/