MCP newbie question

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Mon May 15 22:17:54 IST 2006

Kai Schaetzl a écrit :
> Denis Beauchemin wrote on Mon, 15 May 2006 15:50:50 -0400:
>

>> I already use Clam + www.sanesecurity.com Clam phishing sigs.  I thought
>> this would make the emails detected as viruses and thus destroyed.  But
>> my users are still complaining about phishing attempts (most of them in
>> French).
>>

> I see, it's very much possible that French gets mostly thru undetected (as
> other languages probably as well).
>

>> My users would like me to delete these emails before they even reach
>> them.  That's why I inquired about MCP.
>>

> Maybe I misunderstood your sentence "I would like to receive copies of
> emails without the end-users even knowing about it." That indicated to me
> that you want them to receive the mail like normal, but you want a copy (so
> you can test if your filter rules would work. What you actually want is add
> extra rules that catch more phishing, especially in French, than now gets
> caught? Is that correct? Then I wonder why you want to use MCP for this.
> MCP is an *extra* spamassassin run with a different ruleset. Why not just
> add your extra rules to your first spamassassin run?
>

>> What would MailWatch do for me?  I want to be able to look at the emails
>> to create new SA rules that would make the phishing attempts go to the
>> bit bucket. I think MW would just give me the same info I already have
>> in my maillog, which lacks the message body.
>>

> No, it gives you just that what you want if you let MailScanner store all
> messages in the quarantine. And, frankly, even without the bodies there's
> quite much more you see/get with Mailwatch than what's in your maillog. Try
> it. Deleting messages is scary in my eyes, anyway. You *will* get false
> positives. By using a quarantine you avoid the problem that you may delete
> false positives.
>
> Kai

Kai,

You understood correctly the FIRST time.  I don't have any SA rule right
now that catches the phishing attempts.  I would like to be able to look
at emails with strings such as "banque royale", "CIBC", etc which are
our local bank names.

Of course I could not block all emails with these strings.  But if I can
get hold of all emails with these strings I will be able to write SA
rules that will delete the phishing emails targeted to those banks.

And I don't want to archive all emails that come into my servers because
we process more than 80K messages/day.

Denis

--
   _