Can MailScanner Do Smart Relaying?

ShaunM [MailShield] smcguane at mailshield.com.au
Fri May 12 00:10:34 IST 2006

Heya Guys,

I have a bit of a tricky one for you....

I have setup a second server to take some pressure of my main server which
is handling web hosting / mail filtering / pop retrieval etc.

However upon doing this this changes the network scope a a little bit.

For arguments sake we will call it like this

Box A : Original Main Server Handles everything currently.
Box B : New Server built with mailscanner/Sendmail/mailwatch etc.

I need to know how to control the sending of email from box b to the main
box a. I want flexibility in this so I can handle it at a domain level. I
will explain why.....

Most of my clients retrieve mail by using pop3 which is fine. If I setup a
smart relay in Sendmail it will send *all* mail to box A

However I want to control it at a domain level so for domain.x.y.z goto Box
A and for domain.s.o.s relay to their exchange server or similar.

Normally I would expect to do this from the MTA level such as Sendmail,
however with MailScanner installed and using Sendmail mailer-relay like I
should be totally ignores what I want. So I was wondering if there is
another way?

I know that this might not be the place to ask and should ask MTA groups but
I took a longshot with this thinking MailScanner might have some config in
It that will help me with this problem.

Thanks
Shaun