Trouble-free steps to upgrade mailscanner?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 11 20:36:42 IST 2006

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:39:12 -0500, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
>

>>> For example, is there a way to have two versions of mailscanner running on
>>> the host at the same time, so you can test the new one, and cut over later
>>> once you feel confident about the new one by doing something simple, like
>>> changing a symlink and restarting a daemon?
>>>

>> I think somebody mentioned something like this (they were talking about
>> BSD I think) where someone would:
>>
>> 1. Stop MailScanner
>> 2. Move /wherever/MailScanner to /old/mailscanner
>> 3. Create symlink from /wherever/MailScanner to /old/mailscanner
>> 4. install new MailScanner to /new/mailscanner
>>

> Yes, this sounds like a good way to go.
>

>> Then test everything separately using whatever method you want, and in
>> the end you just stop MailScanner, change the symlink, and start it again.
>>

> What are some "cover the fundamentals" test methods for MailScanner?  Is
> it just a matter of sending four messages: ham+novirus, spam+novirus,
> ham+virus, spam+virus and making sure they're handled well?

Download the EICAR test virus from www.eicar.org and send it through
MailScanner a few times to check its reaction. That and a few spam
messages will check it is basically working for you. I have a huge
library of test messages that I use for testing various bits of the
functionality, but unfortunately I can't share these with you for
privacy reasons, sorry.
> And if I wanted to test it out by just sending something from evolution on
> my office server, would I need to configure a second pair of sendmail's,
> where the -bd one of the second pair was listening on an alternate port
> for a while?

You not only need that but they need to use different queue directories
as well, and you'll need to configure the secondary queue directories in
MailScanner as well.

Using a spare machine for testing is rather easier, as you can leave it
configured as a test system. If you stop the outgoing queue runner
sendmail and set "Delivery Method = queue" then it won't actually
deliver the processed messages, so you can examine the files in the
queue. I always check the queue files than let them be delivered.

>> 2. Use the archive feature, albeit temporarily. You can always requeue
>> e-mail back into the system if it breaks, right?
>>

> I really like this feature.

Glad you find this useful.

- --
Julian Field