Trouble-free steps to upgrade mailscanner?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 11 20:29:31 IST 2006

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:54:00 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

>> I don't advise using any of the 4.53 releases, there have been problems
>> this month. I will put out a new "beta" of 4.54 very soon (possibly
>> next, right now) that will contain all the fixes for the bits I got
>> wrong in 4.53.
>>

> This makes me a little nervous.  Are there some trusted 4.52 releases by
> any chance?  Or do they have security issues?

Yes, sorry about that. But I thought it would be better to be absolutely
straight with you. 4.52 was fine, the last release of that was 4.52.2-1.
You should be able to deduce the URL of them :-)
No security issues that I am aware of, no. Check the ChangeLog on the
website, it's linked to from most of the entries in the "News" section
of the homepage.
>> What operating system are you using?
>>

> This one's Solaris, but we use MailScanner here on a variety of OSes.
>

>> If you aren't using the Linux distributions of MailScanner, then as
>> someone else has already said, you should put it somewhere like
>> /opt/MailScanner-x.xx.x (where x.xx.x is the version number) and use a
>> soft-link from /opt/MailScanner to the version number. This means that
>> you can set it all up in its real location, test all the cron jobs and
>> all that sort of stuff. Then switch on Archive Mail in the new version,
>> stop it, set the link up to point to the new version, start it and then
>> watch it. If it goes bad, just stop it, put the link back, start the old
>> version again.
>>

> This is great info.
>

>> I'll put out a beta right now for you.
>>

> Thanks!