Trouble-free steps to upgrade mailscanner?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Thu May 11 17:39:12 IST 2006

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> Hi folks.

(group voice) Hi Dan...
> For example, is there a way to have two versions of mailscanner running on
> the host at the same time, so you can test the new one, and cut over later
> once you feel confident about the new one by doing something simple, like
> changing a symlink and restarting a daemon?

I think somebody mentioned something like this (they were talking about
BSD I think) where someone would:

1. Stop MailScanner
2. Move /wherever/MailScanner to /old/mailscanner
3. Create symlink from /wherever/MailScanner to /old/mailscanner
4. install new MailScanner to /new/mailscanner

Then test everything separately using whatever method you want, and in
the end you just stop MailScanner, change the symlink, and start it again.

Things you should consider:

1. Do you use a database, like with mailwatch? I don't know if one thing
could break another.
2. Use the archive feature, albeit temporarily. You can always requeue
e-mail back into the system if it breaks, right?