webbug replacement ruleset?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 10 19:11:23 IST 2006

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Julian,
>
> One of my howling users has her Wall Street Journal email subscriptions
> mangled, so (behold) I will use the Power of MailScanner (TM) to snag
> a message via a ruleset:
>
> This should leave me the raw qf/df files in quarantine that I can then
> send along.  This might take a day or so, depending on WSJ mailings and
> settings that I have to tweak.
Thanks. I'll publish a beta as soon as I can.
>   When I can figure out how to use rulesets, it is the coolest thing
> about MailScanner.
They are dead simple.
Instead of stating a simple value in a MailScanner setting
Setting = value
they provide a way of changing the "value" depending on the sender and
recipient addresses of the mail message.
That's all there is to it.

So if, for the option "Sign Clean Messages" you want to say "no" to mail
going to your own domain "lawyers.com" and you want to say "yes" to all
other mail, then you just say
To: lawyers.com no
FromOrTo: default yes

The "FromOrTo: default" line is the one that says "use this for all
other mail".

If, in "Non-Spam Actions", you want to say "deliver store" for mail from
wsj.com and "deliver" for all other mail, then you just say
From: wsj.com deliver store
FromOrTo: default deliver

You can use all sorts of things instead of just "wsj.com". You can
specify any user, any group of users, you can use wildcards, you can
specify the IP address it came from (very useful for saying "use this
value for all messages from my PC's, regardless of the addresses they
are using"), or you can even harness the power of full regular
expressions which can be used to say just about anything.

But the value on the right-hand side of a rule is always just the value
you want to use for that configuration setting with that bunch of email
addresses.

I just don't quite understand why people have trouble understanding
this, I think they believe it's all more complicated and clever than it
really is.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.