Might be off topic

Rob Poe rpoe at plattesheriff.org
Tue May 9 16:52:14 IST 2006

Either way it's an interesting discussion.  I'd probably do multiple
machines running MS / whatever.  I'm not sure if I'd spend the money on
BIG iron, or go the Google way and do a ton of little inexpensive 1-2u
rackmounts and do a round robin or load balanced setup.

Have those machines sort of as a perimeter MX, forwarding mail to the
internal "core".

Hotmail (had) an interesting setup .. where it was a unified LOOKING
system but partitioned out into "sections" .. I guess that was more
pre-cluster days, because "parts" of the userbase might go down for
maintenance.

>>> Lance Haig <lhaig at haigmail.com> 5/9/2006 10:46:48 AM >>>
Hi Rob,

> Nice.  20,000,000 / 24 = 833333.333... per hour /60 = 13888 per min
/
> 60 = 230 per second...

I did not work it out in that much detail. :-)

> Are you scanning for spam or just viruses?  If spam, how restrictive
> the rulesets.  Why do you assume people will only get 10 a day?  The
> unwashed masses (sorry, slashdot reference) sign up for every cotton
> picken thing in the world that says *FREE!!!!!!

I suppose if I would do this I probably would want to just tag spam and

remove the virus e-mail.
I assumed 10 emails just as a starting point as this was a theoretical

discussion  in my head. at about 3 in the morning.

By the sounds of things I would never want to do this anyway as the
numbers just scare me. I could not imagine running a system like this
although I am sure MS could do this but it would scare me.

Thanks for the response though.

Lance