Updates Script to fetch Steve Basford's Phihing Sigs for Clam AV

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 8 23:18:11 IST 2006

Randal, Phil wrote:
>> Randal, Phil a écrit :
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Steve Basford has a ClamAV phishing database over at
>>>
>>>    http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/
>>>
>>> and has recently updated his site to provide a gzipped version of the
>>> file.
>>>
>>> The attached script is a modified version of the one I posted to this
>>> list back in March.  This version uses curl to fetch newer versions
>>>
> of
>
>>> the gzipped database.
>>>
>>> It should be run no more than once hourly, and Steve says that 4
>>>
> times a
>
>>> day is sufficient.
>>>
>>> Can people using the old script please update to this one to save the
>>> load on Steve's server.
>>>

>> Phil,
>>

>> I had to specify /sbin/service in the script because /sbin was not in
>> root's path under cron.
>>

>> BTW: is it necessary to reload MS?
>>

>> Denis
>>

> Good catch!  I use clamavmodule here and am never sure whether a reload
> is necessary after a virus pattern update, so erred on the side of
> caution.
May I point you at this in your MailScanner.conf file?

# ClamAVModule only: monitor each of these files for changes in size to
# detect when a ClamAV update has happened.
# This is only used by the "clamavmodule" virus scanner, not the "clamav"
# scanner setting.
Monitors for ClamAV Updates = /usr/local/share/clamav/*.cvd

It automatically detects pattern updates and reloads MailScanner as and
when necessary for you. I have already done all the hard work for you :-)

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.