Spamassassin exceeded time limit, not stopping spam

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon May 8 09:07:35 IST 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006 17:50, bsnottum at hkskole.no wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I am running mailscanner-4.44.6-2 on fc2 - yes I know it is old and I
> will set up a new server shortly. Anyway I have a problem with
> spamassassin that I really need to solve before I build the new server.
>
> My problem is that spamassassin does not stop spam! In the mail-header it
> says: not spam - exceeded time limit. If I restart mailscanner it works
> for a while - a few minutes, but after this the error starts again.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here?

These errors are usually due to either an RBL timing out or a spamassassin
plugin (helper) not configured correctly, eg, pyzor, razor2, dcc etc.

Best plan is to run a lint test with full debug output:

spamassassin -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint -D 2>&1 |
less

(all on one line).  Watch the shell redirection (2>&1) - as written above
will probably bork on standard Bourne shells ("sh") but should work fin in
bash/zsh.

Have a GOOD look at the output, and hunt down anything that refers to time
outs, crashes, missing configs, etc.  Keep in mind time outs can be due to
firewalls blocking traffic to/from the helpers etc.  RBL's are generally
implemented with DNS (tcp+udp/53).  Spamassassin's wiki has some good
articles on what ports are required for different helpers (I believe the
MailScanner wiki also has a page dedicated to this area too).

If in doubt post back the lint results here and/or the spamassassin list.

Cheers,

James
--
I want you to organize my PASTRY trays ... my TEA-TINS are gleaming in
formation like a ROW of DRUM MAJORETTES