SPARC Solaris 10?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun May 7 12:52:28 IST 2006

I'm still having trouble. I have tried your suggested command and it
hasn't helped with the make.

This is the start of what I get, using gcc as I haven't got Sun's C
compiler.

cc -c       -DVERSION=\"3.05\" -DXS_VERSION=\"3.05\"
"-I/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE"   Base64.c
In file included from /usr/include/sys/signal.h:34,
                 from /usr/include/signal.h:26,
                 from
/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE/unixish.h:106,
                 from
/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE/perl.h:1970,
                 from Base64.xs:33:
/usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:259: error: parse error before "ctid_t"
/usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:292: error: parse error before '}' token
/usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:294: error: parse error before '}' token
/usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:390: error: parse error before "ctid_t"

Any ideas anyone?
Please?

randyf at sibernet.com wrote:

> On Sat, 6 May 2006, John Rudd wrote:
>

>> In fall, I was trying to use the new x4100 boxes they have (which is
>> Intel not Sparc, but it was still Solaris 10).  I couldn't get ANY
>> perl modules to install via CPAN.  I wound up (after running
>> dangerously close to my deliverable date) trading those machines with
>> one of my peers, and took his 410's, and installing Solaris 8 on them
>> instead.
>
>   I had no problem installing perl modules on S10 on x86 _or_ sparc,
> once I got around the predominant issue with many perl modules
> assuming tools and perl are in /usr/local
>
>   The best way to deal with Perl modules on Solaris is to add
> 'OPTIMIZE= ' 'CCFLAGS= ' 'CCCDLFLAGS= ' as arguments to Makefile.PL:
>
>    perl Makefile.PL 'OPTIMIZE= ' 'CCFLAGS= ' 'CCCDLFLAGS= '
>
> And this has worked 99% of the time independent of me using gcc from
> the Solaris install, or if I have installed it seperately (I have even
> done this with the Sun compiler with no problems).
>
>   I have also found that adding Perl modules to Solaris is mostly
> simple if if Webmin's "Install Perl Module" is used (note, BTW, that I
> have had better success in adding the MailScanner modules via Webmin
> than with the Mailscanner installer).
>

>> Once I get some spare time, I hope to sit down and just beat on
>> Solaris 10 for a while (intel and sparc) ... but if it continues to
>> be that degree of annoyance, I may decide it's more annoying than
>> Linux (a _huge_ statement for me) and abandon Solaris 10 for some
>> Linux distro.
>
>   My biggest annoyance predominantly is when any "open source" tool
> assumes underlying mechanisms, and the only reason (IMHO) it would be
> any easier, is that those underlying assumptions are more likely to be
> Linux swayed, then Solaris swayed (though I am just as annoyed when
> they are swayed to a particular platform).
>
>   Sorry for the rant, I hope the previous stuff was of help.  However,
> if you want to beat on it, and would like any of my "expertise" in
> this subject (I have done a "few" Solaris installs), feel free to
> contact me separately.
>
> rf
>
> P.S.    I didn't see the following message, are there odd filterings
> going
>     on?  I can't speak for Filesys::Df, but the other two installed
>     for me fine with the the other two using the Makefile.PL options
>     I mentioned above.
>

>> On May 6, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Julian Field wrote:

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

>> --

Julian Field