Attn. postfix users WAS Multiple Postfix smtp instances

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 4 14:04:56 IST 2006

On 4 May 2006, at 13:44, Dhawal Doshy wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree and here is a point by point check..
>>>
>>> 9) When creating a queue file, Mailscanner MUST adhere to the
>>> convention that the file permissions are set to "executable" only
>>> after the file contents are safely stored. Otherwise mail will be
>>> corrupted or lost.

>> I adhere to this.
>
> Julian, can you elaborate on the specifics for this point.. i need
> to convey it to Viktor (co-developer for postfix).

Once it has written the file and closed it, and then undef-ed the
filehandle to force it to close completely, I only then do the chmod
to set the permissions on it.

>>> 10) Mailscanner should never touch a queue file that has an
>>> advisory lock (flock or fcntl lock, depending on the system
>>> environment). Otherwise mail will be corrupted or lost.

>>> as well.
>> I adhere to this.
>
> This point as well..

MailScanner not only checks that there are no locks on it (using the
same locking system as in the Postfix source code), it also checks
for the E (I think) record at the end of the message file indicating
the body of the message has been written.

I can't remember all the fine details of the Postfix support code, I
wrote it and got it all working a very long time ago. I can't
remember every detail of how it works :-(

> Also a few things that Viktor pointed out.. can you spare time to
> read these?
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.postfix.user/140871
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.postfix.user/140888
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.postfix.user/140902