4.53.7: phishing fraud endless loop

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu May 4 01:53:08 IST 2006

Gang,

I sent Julian an example sendmail message (offlist) that caused 4.53.7 to
go into an endless loop when I ran it in debug mode.  This was
a lucky coincidence; I normally run a new version of MS in debug
mode one time before putting it into production, and this message
just happened to be there.

I got beaucoup syslog messages like:

Found phishing fraud from www.evite.com claiming to be
www.greetingstoall,afternearly3yearsbackinthestates,i'mheadingbacktolondonforwor
in k43IWccm014788

and the debug mode wouldn't end.  I tried it both with the
default "Web Bug Replacement =" setting and setting this to
blank, both looped up.  Anybody else seen this behavior?
My setup: Solaris 10, sendmail 8.13.6, SA 3.1.1.

Julian, what happens if some firewall gets between MailScanner
and http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/images/1x1spacer.gif ?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College