Debug for Sendmail with MailScanner - huh?

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Wed May 3 16:52:24 IST 2006

Greetings all,

SPECIFICS: Debian Sarge, Sendmail  8.13.4-3, MailScanner 4.51.5-1 with
SpamAssassin 3.03.

 	I'm missing something really easy I suspect - I'd be grateful for any
pointers or hints!
 	I am trying to configure sendmail to record the more details in the mail
log for each message (this is to try and ferret out a spambot I think I have on
my network).
 	I've placed this in my /etc/syslog.conf file:

*.info;daemon.none;authpriv.none;cron.none              /var/log/messages
mail.*                          			/var/log/mail.log

 	in an attempt to get ALL mail log into to go into the mail.log file.
 	In Debian, the init script for Sendmail references the
/etc/mail/sendmail.conf file so a lot of options go in there. There is a

DEBUG=1;

 	line in the init script, but setting it to "1" doesn't change the log
output in either messages OR mail.log.
 	In the /etc/mail/sendmail.conf I've tried setting some traditional debug
options with this line:

MISC_PARMS="-d0-99.127";

 	but again, no change in the log output. This is in addition to the
"DAMON_PARMS" line which I have set like this to utilize MailScanner:

DAEMON_PARMS="-bd \
-OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in";

 	I've even tried adding the "-d" to the "DAMON_PARMS" statement - again
to increase in log output in either messages or mail.log.
 	Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library
7770 Croaker Road