Rules and Mailing lists

Tom Combs combs at magnet.fsu.edu
Tue May 2 22:30:42 IST 2006

Hello,

 It appears that when setting a ruleset involving the From field when
sending to a Mailman email list is not as straight forward as one would
think.

 I have a user, joe at magnet.fsu.edu who was sending an email with an html
script to the blah at magnet.fsu.edu list. Naturally it was getting blocked
for content. So I thought no problem, I'll set up a Scan Messages
ruleset that exempts email from joe at magnet from being scanned:

      From:     joe at magnet.fsu.edu        no
      FromOrTo: default                       yes

This works great when sending to individuals but doesn't work when
sending to a listserver list. I ended up having to change the From line
so it wasn't from the person sending the email but instead from the
blah-bounces at magnet.fsu.edu address:

      From:     blah-bounces at magnet.fsu.edu        no
      FromOrTo: default                       yes

This is not a very good solution because now email sent from any
eligible poster to the list won't get scanned.

Is there a better solution to set up the rule using some other email
header that will identify email just from joe at magnet.fsu.edu without
opening up the whole list?

 TIA,  Tom Combs