Filetype/MailScanner bug

Rose, Bobby brose at med.wayne.edu
Wed Mar 29 19:36:01 IST 2006

First, txt by default in MailScanner is an allowed filetype.  Second, a
user can already do that with the thousands of extensions that are
allowed because you must explicitly denying the bad stuff in
MailScanner.  So if a user wanted, they could rename the filename to
.??_ and it will pass.

This bug is not so much a problem with filenames.  I'm just pointing out
that the filenames.conf entries don't override filetype.conf   So the
tnef created "msg*.txt" files that can be misinterpretted by filetype as
Quicktime files can't be overridden.  The only options are to allow
quicktime filetypes or disable the "Use TNEF Contents" option.

Note that the msg*.txt files are not being sent by the user.  They are
created by MailScanner using the current "Use TNEF Contents" function.
So it would seem to be perfectly safe to say that since MailScanner
created that file based off of mime/text that it doesn't need to go thru
a filetype check.