HTML surprise

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Mar 29 16:36:45 IST 2006

I was surprised, recently, to find out that when HTML is disarmed, I wasn't
notifying anyone about this. I changed some logging parms and things like
the "Inline HTML Signature" in the config file, but I am not sure this will
help.

For the most part, this was never an issue, but being a newspaper, a client
sent in an attached ad with notes, as HTML stuff, about the ad . The entire
body of the email was deleted and the notes just disappeared. The email
looked like an empty email with an attachment. Only the signature was left.

I don't pretend to understand all of this HTML-in-email thing, so I only
guess at what I need to change. I have a ruleset for all of the different
categories (like forms, html, etc) and usually just add the sender to all of
them once someone complains.The bad thing was, there was nothing quarantined
for this email, so I couldn't send the original.

I'm a little behind on the upgrades (4.36), but I am planning for a time to
do the latest soon. I don't know if the newer release has any changes in the
way this is handled.  Do the following parameters make MS tell the recipient
about the HTML stuff being modified:

Sign Clean Messages = yes # for text?
Mark Infected Messages = yes #for attachments

Thanks. And if anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly like to hear
them.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers