Blacklist on email to

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Sun Mar 26 10:39:16 IST 2006

Matt Kettler wrote:

> What MTA are you using?
>
> (answer varies considerably depending on MTA).

Sendmail
> Also, are you forwarding to an internal mailserver, or is delivery to mboxes
> handled on your MailScanner system?

Mail is first delivered to local mbox without any MailScanner
involvement, then fetched with fetchmail to internal server and that's
where I use MailScanner, clamav, spamassassin.

I do this because I don't want to bog down my dedicated server with
MailScanner, the main job of the server is web serving, and because the
bandwidth to my internal mail server is not great, so I don't want all
the spammers trying to send mail to it. I do first level spam blocking
on the dedicated server using blackhole lists only. If I can block the
dictionary attacks there, I can cut down on some more of the load and
bandwidth usage.
I am using apf as a firewall so, if there was a way to pass the ip of
the sending server as a variable, I could do a 'apf -d senderip' which
would block it forever.

--
Chris Mason
NetConcepts