grep filters to block open relay

hermit921 hermit921 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 22:28:23 GMT 2006

My company put in an Exchange server, which got listed as an open
relay.  They can't or won't configure Exchange to accept mail only if the
recipient address is valid, and they won't put MailScanner in front of
Exchange to do that.  Please accept this, don't comment, move on.

To block open relay functionality, they put pattern matching into place, so
destination email addresses such as the ones used by
relay-test.mail-abuse.org are rejected.  I had never heard of this approach
before.  It blocks some legitimate email, of course.  Is this a common
practice, or even a rare practice?  Any background information is appreciated.

hermit921