Obscure sendmail error after installing latest MS

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Mar 22 17:17:11 GMT 2006

Glenn Steen wrote on Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:37:37 +0100:

> Not being a sendmail guru, but... Logically, this seems to be a
> difference between the two queues then... Do you have it in both
> mqueue and mqueue.in? Same perms/owner?

Right on the mark, Glenn. Of course, like queue/.hoststat, it didn't
exist. (And it doesn't get used, it seems it just needs to exist.) It's
been a while since I set up a new MailScanner. I wonder why it was missing
on this system. Is this normal for CentOS? This is the first time I'm
installing MailScanner on a CentOS system, I never hit this problem on
Suse.
However, now I get the next problem:
can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

That is owned by smmsp and 770. Making it 777 doesn't help. ps says that
the incoming sendmail is running as root like the Queue runner instance.
If I remember right clientmqueue gets only used when a local program calls
sendmail as a client to inject mail directly.
I compared the MailScanner and sendmail init scripts and found that
sendmail only starts sm-client when there's no pid file for it (do i need
to understand that?). As expected, after removing the pid file I get the
same error when starting sendmail.
I'm going to ask on the CentOS list how I get sm-client running on CentOS.
Of course, if anyone here already knows the answer ... I don't remember
that I have seen such problems with CentOS described here.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany