From line has ()

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Mar 15 22:28:02 GMT 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:06, hermit921 wrote:
> Just ran into an odd problem.  The new Exchange server here seems to
> reject any message with parentheses () in the body From line.  It rejects
> as "sender denied", after the entire message has been seen by Exchange,
> as soon as I type in the period.  OK, idiot misleading error message, but
> I want to know if this violates any of the smtp RFCs?  Or is anyone
> unfortunate enough to know if this is an Exchange configuration setting?
>
> hermit921

The way I read RFC822 (and 2822) is that if an MTA is going to reject a
message it should do so as early in the transaction as possible.  It should
never accept a message it will not deliver.  So, if Exchange is dropping
the message after the final "dot+<CR>" due to a malformed or rejected
address, it should have done it during the "MAIL FROM:" or "RCPT TO:"
stage.  IOW, I believe this violates the RFC.  But hey, it's Micrsoft -
since when to THEY care about published standards?!?

Cheers,

James
--
<knghtbrd> joeyh: I was down since midmorning yesterday and pacbell said
           this morning that AT&T was to blame and almost all of the state