To whitelist or not...

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Mar 15 22:24:16 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Here's the situation.  We don't do any spam scanning in MailScanner (RBL's
etc) - we handle all spam filtering in SpamAssassin.  MailScanner then does
all the virus/attachment/phishing/etc checks.

Up until recently, we've been adding addresses to the spam.whitelist.rules
to exempt messages from being flagged as spam.  We don't deliver
spamassassin reports in the headers so the only thing this did was add to
our rule hit counts in MailWatch.

I've done an experiment.  I've created a rule set for the "Use SpamAssassin"
config option and moved a few of the whitelisted addresses into there with
a "no" action.  IOW, the "use.sa.rules" file looks like this: