Does spamassassin cache database lower the amount of spamassassin timeouts?

Rob Borland rborland at medsch.uz.ac.zw
Fri Mar 10 08:59:57 GMT 2006

 >> We are currently running six Mailscanner boxes that receive about
30,000
 >> to 50,000 emails each everyday.
 >> We get about 270-280 Spamassassin time outs (as per logwatch) which,
 >> considered the amount of mail we get is not bad at all.

I was getting many timeouts on much lower volumes of mail than this.  I
have eliminated them completely after receiving advice on the list to
set the following options:

   "Rebuild Bayes Every 86400" in MailScanner.conf.

   "bayes_auto_expire 0" in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

Clearly the timeouts were occurring during Bayes rebuilds.  Leaving this
process to MailScanner to handle fixed the problem entirely.

Regards,
Rob

believed to be clean.