MailScanner and Quota

Azher Amin azher at niit.edu.pk
Fri Mar 10 03:06:23 GMT 2006

Hi Julian,

I have bee using MailScanner for a long time and its really impressive
to me. I am managing multiple mail servers running Sendmail and
MailScanner together on RedHat and Debian.

I am facing a bit problem so i hope you or some other can help me.

Disk space for my users (i.e. home dirs) are well managed thru linux
quota, however the emails once processed by MailScanner go into
/var/spool/mail/<users>. Most of the users (above 600) are not cleaning
up their inbox i.e. /var/spool/mail/<users>, and thus i am always
getting in the problem of reduced disk space. Is their any piece of code
that (with the help of sendmail or MailScanner) sum up the home dir size
and the existing /var/spool/mail/<users> and then respond with an error
to remote MTA that this user is out of quota, otherwise accept the email.

Look forward to get the solution.

Regards
Azher