Mailscanner hangs after a while

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:28:32 GMT 2006

On 08/03/06, murat at mems.eee.metu.edu.tr <murat at mems.eee.metu.edu.tr> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have recently installed mailscanner on postfix by following the nice
> tutorial on debian-administration.org:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/172 (Secure Spam/Virus
> filtering system with Debian and MailScanner).
>
> I recently recognized that, Mailscanner works well for a while, and then
> does not scan the mails in the queue.  After I restart the mailscanner, it
> works well again for a while.  There is nothing related to this in the log
> files. Everything seems to be working without errors.
>
> How can I solve this problem? My web search says that there are other
> people facing the same problem, but I could not found any good response to
> those.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> OS: Debian sarge.  Mailscanner version is 4.41.3-2

You shouldn't use the debian package, it is quite old and crusty. Use
the source instead, as found on the mailscnner site (and use
install.sh, the wiki and the MAQ to get it set up correctly).
I suspect you are getting some stray (non mail) files in the hold
queue, which is confuusing MailScanner a bit... TNEF expander related
IIRC. If you use the latest MS, this problem will likely just go away.

--
-- Glenn