Fwd: New Batch: Found 1768 messages waiting

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Fri Mar 3 17:33:44 GMT 2006

On Fri, March 3, 2006 17:15, TAC Forums wrote:
>> With that number of messages waiting and only 256Mb of RAM your machine
>> will be almost at a stand still I would have thought. How many children
>> are you running as doubling the RAM should mean you can increase the
>> child
>> processes?
>>
>> Drew
>

> The server is a Cobalt RaQ 550 which has a P-III processor (1 GHz) and
> I've configured it to run only one child process. How much do you
> suggest I should increase it to?

On similar equipment with nothing else running I have run 2 processes but
have slightly reduced the batch size to 20 to try to speed things up.
However, I would strongly recommend you throw as much RAM as you can in
and then look to increase the children accordingly e.g. 512Mb say 4
children, 1Gb the full 5 with a batch size of 30.

Also have a look at any large add on SA rules you have added and either
remove and replace them (e.g. Big Evil) or temporarily move them and
replace  them once your message queues drop. Also make sure you are
running a caching name server either on the machine or very locally (e.g.
same subnet) as this will speed up RBL and other DNS associated look ups.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy