move attachments from email to web?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 19:28:41 GMT 2006

We have a quarantine retrieval system here which puts quarantined
attachments on a website. It isn't quite what you want, but might help.

How would you move the attachments to a website? It is quite possible to
process the message to remove attachments bigger than a certain size and
copy them somewhere, but you have the whole security problem to be aware
of. Just generate a random URL? When would you delete the file? It's got
to hang around for quite a while. You would replace the attachment with
a text attachment containing the URL for the file.

It sounds an interesting project to write, and I am quite willing to
help. Things are pretty quiet right now (he says, cursing himself into a
month like January!).

If you can expand the spec, that would help.
We could have a directory and ownership and permissions supplied, and a
random directory name containing the files attached to a particular
message that are over a certain size.
So supply:
Directory name
Owner
Group
Permissions

I then create a random directory name (based on the message queue id for
simplicity) and move the attachments into there. I then replace the
attachments one at a time with text/plain or text/html attachments
directing the user to click on a link to download the attachment, whose
filename will be the sanitised original attachment name.

How does that sound?
A nice little project that would be particularly useful to users with
slow connections who are using POP and have a tight mail quota. It
effectively moves their mail quota into web server space, but that's not
my problem :-)

Tom Combs wrote:
> Hi,  This is off topic but given the experience of this group, I thought
> I'd ask...
> I'd like to be able to scrub large attachments from email, converting
> them to
> html and making them accessible via a provided URL.  Does anyone have
> any experience with this?  If so, how do you do it?
>
> Thanks,   Tom Combs

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.