Problem with "Use TNEF Contents" ?

Michael H. Martel martelm at quark.vsc.edu
Thu Mar 2 19:11:04 GMT 2006

Greetings!

I love the new version. :)  However, I'm seeing an oddity.  On messages
that contain winmail.dat attachments, the contents appear to be added to
the message, even though the setting in the config file is replace.

Am I reading this wrong ?  Replace indicates that it should remove the
winmail.dat.

I've included the section of my .conf file and the output of MailScanner
--lint and MailScanner -v

Thanks!

# Expand TNEF attachments using an external program (or a Perl module)?
# This should be "yes" unless the scanner you are using (Sophos, McAfee) has
# the facility built-in. However, if you set it to "no", then the filenames
# within the TNEF attachment will not be checked against the filename rules.
Expand TNEF = yes

# When the TNEF (winmail.dat) attachments are expanded, should the
# attachments contained in there be added to the list of attachments in
# the message?
# If you set this to "add" or "replace" then recipients of messages sent
# in "Outlook Rich Text Format" (TNEF) will be able to read the attachments
# if they are not using Microsoft Outlook.
#
# no      => Leave winmail.dat TNEF attachments alone.
# add     => Add the contents of winmail.dat as extra attachments, but also
#            still include the winmail.dat file itself. This will result in
#            TNEF messages being doubled in size.
# replace => Replace the winmail.dat TNEF attachment with the files it
#            contains, and delete the original winmail.dat file itself.
#            This means the message stays the same size, but is usable by
#            non-Outlook recipients.
#
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
#Use TNEF Contents = replace
Use TNEF Contents = replace

[root at hemlock etc]# /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner --lint
Read 710 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Cannot write pid file , No such file or directory at
/opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner line 1238
Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.

MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav mcafee bitdefender f-prot"
Found these virus scanners installed: bitdefender, f-prot, clamav, mcafee
[root at hemlock etc]# /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner -v
Running on
Linux hemlock.vsc.edu 2.4.20-28.7smp #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 11:18:31 EST 2003
i686 unknown
This is Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
This is Perl version 5.008006 (5.8.6)

This is MailScanner version 4.51.4
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File