Telnet to port 25 fails

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WoodMacLaw.com
Thu Mar 2 15:09:22 GMT 2006

Hello everyone!

Well I have gotten some ground on my new install and I cannot connect to
my machine through telnet 25.

I was going through the WIKI at this page:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:test_troubleshoot
:mta:connexion

That is a really good page to use for testing but it has no solutions
for if the telnet fails.

I will copy and paste my entire typed log for what I have done.  It gets
pretty specific with what errors and commands that I used.  I figure the
next time that I install these completed notes will help me.

I also went to search the mailing list archives.  I could not find a
search.  I know that the list was put on a different server.  So I guess
that there is no search on the new one of I just could not find it.
Here is the big o log...  Warning, its pretty long.  To get to the point
skip near the end.  Please tell me if this log may be a helpful informal
post when it is all said and done, and I can email the completed log
after I am all finished.

- Installed CentOS with spamassassion (version?), mysql (version?),
- Downloaded MailScanner 4.50.15-1
- Ran install.sh
  Error: [root at WoodenMS2 MailScanner-4.50.15-1]# ./install.sh

  Good. You have the patch command.

  Your /usr/src/redhat, /usr/src/RPM or /usr/src/packages
  tree is missing.
  If you have access to an RPM called rpm-build or rpmbuild
  then install it first and come back and try again.

- 1 hour later I got rpm-build installed
  [root at WoodenMS2 install]# rpm -ivh rpm-build*
  warning: rpm-build-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 443
  e1821
  Preparing...
########################################### [100%]
   1:rpm-build              ###########################################
[100%]

- ran ./install.sh from the MailScanner directory

- got another error:
  [root at WoodenMS2 MailScanner-4.50.15-1]# ./install.sh

  Good. You have the patch command.

  Good, you have /usr/src/redhat in place.

  Writing a .rpmmacros file in your home directory to stop
  unpackaged files breaking the build process.
  You can delete it once MailScanner is installed if you want to.

  Adding to the .rpmmacros file in your home directory to stop
  RPM trying to be too clever finding Perl requirements.
  You can delete it once MailScanner is installed if you want to.

  Good, you appear to only have 1 copy of Perl installed.

  I think you are running on RedHat Linux, Mandrake Linux or SuSE Linux.
  You must have the following RPM packages installed before
  you try and do anything else:
         binutils glibc-devel gcc make
  You are missing at least 1 of these.
  Please install them all
  (Read the manuals if you do not know how to do this).
  Then come back and run this install.sh script again.

- Next day
  After spending a few hours trying to get the packages, I started from
scratch and reinstalled
  CentOS 4.2 with the development tools.

- OS is installed
- Created a user at the console
- Ran the program Putty to ssh into the machine
- logged in as the user
- ran su - and logged in as root
- downloaded mailscanner useing wget
- now looking for the command to untar a tar.gz file
- Found the command and used tar -zxvf MailScanner*
- Running ./install.sh	install is running ok
- MailScanner install done.  Said spamassassin was not found and it was
not installed.
- downloaded =
  spamassassin 3.1.0	wget
http://apache.hoxt.com/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0.tar.g
  mailwatch 1.0.3	wget
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mailwatch/mailwatch-1.0.3
.tar.gz
  clamav	.88	wget
http://superb.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/clamav/clamav-0.88.tar.gz
  bitdefender8		wget
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Download/downloadFile/340/EN/
  pyzor 0.4.0		wget
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pyzor/pyzor-0.4.0.tar.bz2
  php 5.1.2		wget
http://us3.php.net/get/php-5.1.2.tar.gz/from/this/mirror
- installed spamassassin
  tar -zxvf Mail-SpamAssassin*
  cd Mail*Spam*
  perl Makefile.PL
  got errors about modules needed.  Went to
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.1/INSTALL
  and got information
	REQUIRED module missing: Digest::SHA1
	optional module missing: Net::DNS
	optional module missing: Mail::SPF::Query
	optional module missing: IP::Country
	optional module missing: Razor2
	optional module missing: Net::Ident
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL
	optional module missing: Archive::Tar
	optional module missing: IO::Zlib
  perl -MCPAN -e shell
  o conf prerequisites_policy ask
  install Digest::SHA1
  install NET::DNS
  install Mail::SPF::Query
  install IP::Country
  install Razor2
	got error:
	cpan> install Razor2
	Warning: Cannot install Razor2, don't know what it is.
	Try the command

	    i /Razor2/

	to find objects with matching identifiers.
  install Net::Ident
  install IO::Socket::INET6 ( I don't know really why I installed this)
  install Archive::Tar
  install IO:Zlib
	returned:
	IO::Zlib is up to date.
  quit
  perl Makefile.PL (lets try spamassassin again shall we)
  returned:
	optional module missing: Razor2
	optional module missing: Net::Ident
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL

	warning: some functionality may not be available,
	please read the above report before continuing!

	Checking if your kit is complete...
	Looks good
	Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin
	Makefile written by ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.17
  perl -MCPAN -e shell
  i /Razor2/
  Returned:
	Module id = Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
	CPAN_USERID  JMASON (Justin Mason <jmason at cpan.org>)
	CPAN_VERSION undef
	CPAN_FILE    J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0.tar.gz
	INST_FILE    (not installed)
  install Mail::spamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
  perl Makefile.PL
  Returned:
	optional module missing: Razor2
	optional module missing: Net::Ident
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6
	optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL
  Taking a guess that it needs a reboot to get Razor2 and INET6 in
action, I will reboot using
  shutdown -r now

- Next day
- After the reboot it says razor is not there but I will continue and
worry
  about that later.
- Logged into old MailScanner machine and copied over the
MailScanner.conf preferences
  Note I did not just copy over the file
  changed:
	Organization stuff at the beginning
	Quarantine User = root
	Quarantine group = apache
	Quarantine permissions = 0660
	Quarantine whole message = yes
	Spam List = ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL
	Required SpamAssin Score = 5
	High ScpamAssassin Score 7.2
	Rebuild Bayes Every = 432000
	Spam Actions = store deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
	High Scoring Spam Actions = store delete header "X-spam-Status:
yes"
	Non Spam Actions = store deliver header "X-Spam-Status: No"
	Log Spedd = yes
	Log Spam = yes
	Log non Spam = yes
- I then restart the MailScanner service like so
	service MailScanner restart && tail -f /var/log/maillog
- I checked the log for errors
	Getting error about no virus scanners installed
	Getting notice that I do have virus scanners installed also
	Value of bayesrebuild cannot be a ruleset, only a simple value
- I had an error in my Rebuild Bayes Every = ...
  I had 432000 432000 432000 and more instances instead of just one
  432000.   I changed it to just 432000
- I restarted MailScanner using the above method and checked the log
  Still getting the virus scanners message.  One saying that I have them
  installed and one saying that I do not.  I will worry about this
later.
- Copied text from the old /etc/mail/access file to the new server
- created /etc/mail/relay-domains on the new machien and put in:
	woodmaclaw.com
	www.woodmaclaw.com
	woodmclaw.com
	www.woodmclaw.com
- edited /etc/mail/mailertable.  put in:
	woodmaclaw.com          esmtp:[10.1.1.22]
	www.woodmaclaw.com      esmtp:[10.1.1.22]
	woodmclaw.com           esmtp:[10.1.1.22]
	www.woodmclaw.com       esmtp:[10.1.1.22]
- I fowarded some mail to the new machien and the log had not picked up
anything
- Restart MailScanner
- Tried the command telnet IPADDRESS 25 and it is not running as the dos
box just does not
  show it.
- restarted the machine

-