Don't understand this match

Richard Thomas richard.thomas at psysolutions.com
Wed Mar 1 20:18:27 GMT 2006

I'm not understanding why a certain filename has triggered the "Attempt
to hide real filename extension" rule. The filename is

Shortcut 29 t.xls

The rule is \.[a-z][a-z0-9]{2,3}\s*\.[a-z0-9]{3}$

As I understand it, that should match a period, followed by an alpha,
followed by two or three alphnumerics, any amount of whitespace and then
another period then an alphanumeric three character alphanumeric
extension all of this being at the end of the filename.

The filename in question has only one period.

Of course, I'm not sure which particular version of regular expressions
MailScanner uses (maybe the period is the "match any character" period.

Is there a bug in the regexp? Is this actually a valid match? Is this
just a case of "upgrade to the latest"? Possibly I am just wildly out of
date :)

Thanks

Rich

--
MIS Department      | Psychiatric Solutions Inc |Phone: +1 615 312 5787
840 Crescent Ctr Dr |                           |Fax:   +1 615 312 5711