Notifying Recipients of Blocked Messages

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Jun 21 20:15:04 IST 2006

Hi there --

I am going through the MailScanner.conf file to locate the recipient
notification configuration, and came across several areas:

	# Set how to invoke MTA when sending messages MailScanner has created
	# (e.g. to sender/recipient saying "found a virus in your message")
	# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
	Sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail

The /usr/lib/sendmail is a link to /usr/sbin/sendmail. Would it be better to
have the line in question point directly to the latter? Also, would changing
it as such enable the recipient to receive the above notification?

	# Still deliver (after cleaning) messages that contained viruses
      # listed in the above option ("Silent Viruses") to the recipient?
	# Setting this to "yes" is good when you are testing everything, and
	# because it shows management that MailScanner is protecting them,
	# but it is bad because they have to filter/delete all the incoming
# virus warnings.
	#
	# Note: Once you have deployed this into "production" use, you should
# Note: set this option to "no" so you don't bombard thousands of
	# Note: people with useless messages they don't want!
	#
	# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
	Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no

If I change the value from no to yes, will that activate notification of the
recipient of a virus in their e-mail?

If these aren't the areas where recipient notification is configured, can
someone point out the section in question? Thanks.