MailScanner eats memory out

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Jun 20 23:16:26 IST 2006

Arthur Sherman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This started recently, probably after I have installed RDJ.
>>>
>>> The server has 1GB of memory and was happily utilizing ~300 of it.
>>> Now it eats up everything.
>>> When I rebooted the server and checked 'top' there hardly
>> was 30MB free,
>>> which then climbed to ~120MB.
>> Any chance you recently added any add-on rulesets to
>> spamassassin? Most notably,
>> any chance you added sa-blacklist*.cf?
>
> I do have sa-blacklist.current.uri.cf.
> Is it evil?

Yes, it is a well-known *MASSIVE* consumer of memory, and is almost certainly
the source of your current problems.

Each of the sa-blacklist*.cf files is known to burn up about 100 megs of ram per
instance of SA.

I mean, look at the size of the file.. It's 3.6 megs in rule file format.
Generally a rule file will expand very considerably when parsed and loaded into
memory. Growth is typically at least a factor of 10, and in some cases closer to 50.

I generally suggest you should be very wary of including any rule file over
128k. This file is more than 27 times bigger than that.

Besides, the file is 100% redundant with the URIBL_WS_SURBL, which is a fairly
light weight test, but does need DNS lookups.